Thursday, April 27, 2006

Started training at a 'call center' April 10. Brief mention of sales in job description. Then they dump it on you when training starts: every call a sales call. Scientific coaching on tone of voice, choice of words to hook a customer into buying more. Overcoming objections, closing the sale on every poor schmuck who calls in to get their phone bill straightened out. 'Customer Service Representative' and equal part 'Customer Manipulation Sales Pusher.' Disgusting.

First day I got seated next to an amiable fellow from my last trucking job, a guy I really enjoyed working with. 'Bob' had been down-sized to PT and filed for bankruptcy to make his personal creditors go away. Over lunch he told me about romantic wedding plans for a horse-drawn carriage for his bride next summer. A few days later I walked into a restaurant and there was Bob having a meal with a girl from the class. I said 'Hi Bob,' and sat down at another table. He tried to make a joke out of the situation but I didn't buy it. Couldn't help thinking how his poor fiance would feel if she knew the rat was out to lunch with another woman. Back in class, Bob and the bimbo seemed to get a little awkward around me. I'm glad if it'll help them avoid busting somebody's heart.


















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home