Trucking morphed into dayshift after a couple months. I was ready to quit, went to the super and said the nights were beating me to a pulp, couldn't do 'em anymore. At first he says, "best bring in your stuff and resign" but next day they called with daywork and been at it since. Got another break in January 07 when the freight slowed down and I got bumped to part-time status. Was able to get a pogey claim (hoserspeak for 'Employment Insurance') at maximum rate to cover the short weeks. Thanks, Tommy Douglas. Where's your kind today?
Surprised to land an interview for Court Reporter in April. Brushed up my typing and did well on the entry exams, bought a crisp black 'Gaberdine' suit and got a haircut for the big day. The interview seemed to go well. I was nontheless surprised when the offer came. Lots of congratulations and back-slapping for the poor trucker now catapulted (albeit part time) into the civil service.
Quite a bit of vertigo to start. Dizzying to go from driving a cab, driving a tractor/trailer, to dressed in a black legal gown, making notes and sitting beside the Judge in front of a room full of lawyers. The boss says I'm doing well.
Been asking the Almighty and searching for a job outside the trucking industry for awhile. '...unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think...' (Ephesians 3.20).
Funnily enough I've had a long-time interest in law dating from high school electives in the 80's. Took a Canadian law credit ten years later to get my Gr.12 diploma. Couple of paralegal courses in '99. Now this. Feels like a tender mercy from the LORD.
Surprised to land an interview for Court Reporter in April. Brushed up my typing and did well on the entry exams, bought a crisp black 'Gaberdine' suit and got a haircut for the big day. The interview seemed to go well. I was nontheless surprised when the offer came. Lots of congratulations and back-slapping for the poor trucker now catapulted (albeit part time) into the civil service.
Quite a bit of vertigo to start. Dizzying to go from driving a cab, driving a tractor/trailer, to dressed in a black legal gown, making notes and sitting beside the Judge in front of a room full of lawyers. The boss says I'm doing well.
Been asking the Almighty and searching for a job outside the trucking industry for awhile. '...unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think...' (Ephesians 3.20).
Funnily enough I've had a long-time interest in law dating from high school electives in the 80's. Took a Canadian law credit ten years later to get my Gr.12 diploma. Couple of paralegal courses in '99. Now this. Feels like a tender mercy from the LORD.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home